Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Corn Chowder


During these cold snowy days there is really nothing better than a hot steamy bowl of soup.  Thick and creamy, sweat and savory, Corn Chowder is a good'n.  This chowder is made with ham rather than the bacon that many use, which gives it less smoky flavor but more substance and bite.  I also prefer my corn chowder with potatoes in it but some prefer it without.  This really is a basic and simple chowder recipe but it is one that I have cherished almost as much as the friend who gave it to me.  (But really not even close - that girl is amazing and no soup can compare!)
Make this soup for your family.  Make some buttermilk biscuits and a green salad and you have the perfect cold weather meal.

Corn Chowder
adapted slightly from my sweet Sarah

about 2 c chopped potato, bite size pieces
1 onion, diced
1.5 c diced ham
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp oil
2 cans cream corn (the normal 398 mL size)
2-3 cans WHOLE milk (you fill the creamed corn cans once you empty them)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 c frozen corn kernals
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1 tsp dried parsley
chicken broth

Chop the potato into bite sized pieces, really as big or small as you like.  I find I like the smaller bites better.  I also prefer to use the small nugget new potatoes and just chop them into 4-6 pieces.  Put in a pot and cover with water.  Add a pinch of salt and boil until fork tender but not soft.  Drain well.


In a large soup pot or dutch oven if you have one, melt butter and oil.  Cook onion over med heat until soft and translucent.  Add ham and brown slightly.  Pour in both cans of cream corn and fill empty cans with whole milk.  Do not use one percent or heaven forbid skim.  It is traitorous.  It will also not be thick and creamy like you want.   Add potatoes and stir around, judging thickness and texture.  Add the third can of milk slowly until you like the ratio of liquid to veggies, keeping in mind that you will thicken it later (I usually add that third can).



Add frozen corn (you can add more or less, I just like the extra sweetness and texture it gives).  Sprinkle with parsley.  Stir bouillon into some chicken broth (a few Tbsp) and stir into the soup.  Bring the whole mixture close to a boil, just until it is starting to bubble.  Mix cornstarch with another few tbsp of broth until smooth.  Slowly add to the boiling soup until desired thickness is achieved.  It will thicken as it sits and cools so only add a bit at a time, you can add more later if needed.  Let simmer on low for 10-20 minutes to get full flavor but stir often and watch it for burning.
Cool slightly and serve with something to sop up the creamy goodness and something green and healthy to go on the side.  This soup is great for warming fingers and toes and all my kids LOVE it!



Go forth and cook, my pretties ......

1 comment:

  1. Now I have to make corn chowder...

    Just kidding, I can't wait. I love all of your recipes. I have been on a domestic Diva kick lately and everything is so yummy! You really are the domestic Diva!!!

    ReplyDelete